Friday 3 August 2012

The Colors of the Arabian Woman

Her house in Amman is like a fashion hall, an artistic museum. Fine artistic works by Arabs, mostly Iraqis - paintings, jewelry and accessories - furnish the house. In a corner of the living room is a decorated wooden closet. The Iraqi artist and fashion designer, Hana Sadek, greeted us in her house in Amman in the basement which is like Ali Baba's cave. She is no ordinary clothes designer. She entered the profession via the plastic arts. Before she designed clothing, she traveled the Arab world in search of traditional fashion and she ended up writing an academic study of Arab dress and jewelry. She is a painter and a poet. Al-Jamela met her in her house in Amman for the following interview.

Q: Is it necessary to use a designed dress?

A: The question is related to art. Someone could ask if it is necessary to hang a painting in your house or have sculpture there? Is it necessary to listen to music? The same thing applies to fashion. Artistically designed fashion is an elegant and fine art; it is not a need but it becomes a necessity when we wear it. As for me, I do not want to wake up in the morning and see things reflecting bad taste and ugliness. When I go to an occasion, I want to see women wearing beautifully designed clothes. Women have a tendency to change and if the change is beautiful, they will accept it.

Q: Do you think that Arab women know how to choose the right dress?

A: No they do not. I try to draw out the beauty of the Arab woman's body. Arab women's bodies have unique features that we do not see in western bodies. Bodies have flaws and my job is to conceal them and show beauty. Some women ask to hide the hips. Due to the types of food we eat and the fact that we do not exercise regularly, many of us do not have good figures.

Q: In your mind, what are the standard measurements of the Arab woman body?

A: Arab women walk attractively. When they wear western clothes, their walk changes because western clothes were not designed for them. When they wear Arabic styles, they feel that the walk suits the clothes and adds softness and gentleness. They have their own magic but unfortunately most clothes designers do not concentrate on that magic. When I asked why I had received a fashion award in Rome, I was told, "Because you succeeded in showing women's femininity without showing their bodies."

Q: You mentioned femininity. What do you mean?

A: I am of the sixties generation, a generation that asked for freedom and equality with men. We strove hard not to show our femininity, thinking if we did that we would lose our case against men. I regretted this when I grew up because I was not able to enjoy and display my femininity and coquettishness. I regretted not dressing in Arab clothes which illustrate sweetness and mystique. The most beautiful thing in a woman is mystery.

Q: Other than clothes, do you design accessories and jewelry?

A: I have loved silver ever since I was a child. When I grew up, my mother refused to let me wear silver jewelry because I was from a family which believed I should always wear gold. I bought silver pieces, especially old ones with symbols that do not exist in gold jewelry. I began collecting silver pieces from Arabian cities. Sometimes I design my own silver pieces to go with a dress. At the beginning, customers refused to accept these pieces, thinking they were old or because they preferred gold. Later, customers began asking me for the right piece for their dress. The most important thing is to put the right piece with the dress, a piece that has meaning.

Q: Arab design is very poor in terms of color but you use colors generously and your designs are extremely colorful.

A: I got the idea of using a lot of color from the bedouin who use contrasting colors in their dress. They use the natural colors surrounding them.

Q: Are there specific colors that Arab women prefer?
A: Arab women love colors in general. They love bright colors so I would say red and yellow.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...